Have you ever had a “movie moment?” One of those moments where you could truly hear the music swell in the background and the birds twitter in your reality? Maybe when…
- you found a 75% off sale on some Tory Burch shoes you’ve been eyeing (if you ever, please let me know!)
- the pregnancy test showed two lines instead of one
- you walked into your brand new home for the first time
- you put together a “pinterest-worthy” outfit
- you heard “I love you” for the first time (or every time) from your “dreamboat”
- you unexpectedly were offered a promotion and raise
- you stepped on the scale and surprisingly had lost 10 pounds (does that ever happen?)
- you heard you were cancer-free
Music swelling moments.
I’m a sucker for a good love story. One in which the music swells as love wins out, presses on, overcomes, and never fails. Like The Notebook, When Harry Met Sally, My Best Friend’s Wedding. What’s your favorite?
I’m equally mesmerized by those stories that don’t have a happy ending, in which my heart is squeezed up in knots by the end and physically aches. A story in which love actually fails. Like Legends of the Fall, Splendor in the Grass, and The Way We Were. Gut wrenching.
Because…I can relate. I have felt the pain of failing love. Have you?
But, God says He loves with a love that’s unfailing.
Yes, fellow chick-flick lover. It’s a better-than-movie kind of love.
Throughout our #messylove series, we’ve been following the love story of Hosea and Gomer. A love story that would cause waterworks from every eyeball if projected on the big screen. It is a beautiful expression of how God loves you and me.
We see in Hosea 3 three ways that God’s love never fails:
1. God’s love goes to where I am. “Go and show your love to your wife again…” vs 1
- No matter what I’ve done, where I’ve been, or how I’ve failed this day, God loves me. And when I don’t have the strength to move beyond my junk or even from behind my hoping-for-a-moment-of-quiet-from-my-two-year-old locked bathroom door, I cry out to Him for help. He will come…again. And again. And again. His love never fails.
Some sat in darkness and the deepest gloom, prisoners suffering in iron chains, for they had rebelled against the words of God…Then they cried out to the Lord…He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains. Let them give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love. Psalm 107: 10-11, 13-15
2. God’s love sees me as I really am– His beloved. “Go and show your love to your wife again…” vs 1
- God does not see me as my sin: The Gossip, The Unfaithful One, The Cheat, The Liar, The Failure, The Yelling Mom. No, He sees you and me as… The Beautiful One He loves. His love never fails.
Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to Your love remember me, for You are good, O Lord. Psalm 25:7
3. God’s love addresses my sin not to shame but to liberate. “She is an adulteress…she’s turned to other gods…” vs 1
- It’s full disclosure with God. Through His love, He intends to free me of my sin. In His love, He turns my head to see the gravity of what I chose to do. It is not cruel. It is the very process that brings freedom! His love never fails.
Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your unfailing love; according to Your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Psalm 51:1
But the Lord is righteous; he has cut me free from the cords of the wicked.” Psalm 129:4
Do you know that you are loved like this by God? Do you live like you are loved like this?
He does. You are.
Let’s meet back on THURSDAY for #messylove never fails: part 2.
We only have a few more weeks of our #messylove series.
A new study is coming on February 4th! Stay tuned!